Health Benefits of Apricot
Nutrients in apricots
The raw apricot contains many vitamins, minerals, and elements which are of great importance for the human organism. Some of them are potassium, phosphorus, calcium, riboflavin, iron, vitamin A, magnesium, zinc, beta carotene and vitamin C. There are other elements present like selenium, manganese, thiamin, copper, folic acid, vitamin B6, pantothenic acid, and choline.
Apricot health benefits
There are numerous benefits of apricots when it comes to heart and eyes health. Apricot contains a high percentage of beta-carotene. This substance is important for the heart and for reduction of the LDL cholesterol in the blood. The content of the vitamin A in this fruit is vital for your eye health and for improving the eyesight. Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that prevents damage from free radicals on the cells and the tissues in the body.
- Prevents Anemia:There are two types of iron: heme and non-heme. The former is found in meats, but the latter is common in plants, including apricots. They are rich in non-heme iron, which is absorbed slower by the body. It also remains in the body for longer, preventing the development of anemia.
- Good for Vision: It’s easy to see why you should eat apricots. They are full of Vitamin A and Beta Carotene, which strengthen optic nerves by preventing the macular degeneration that comes with aging.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Apricots are rich in catechins, a group of flavonoids that inhibit key enzymes in the process of inflammation. Catechin’s bind to these enzymes and produce a strong anti-inflammatory reaction.
- Reduces the Risk of Fatty Liver Disease: Apricots ward off hepatic steatosis (also called fatty liver disease) and other types of liver damage. One animal study found that apricots reduced liver injury, reducing risk of fatty liver disease.
- Supports Digestive System: A small apricot has fiber, which aids in healthy digestion by helping people break down foods and absorb the nutrients inside. Fiber also regulates blood sugar levels.
- Heart Healthy: The antioxidants, and minerals such as potassium and fiber, in apricots optimize heart health and benefit the entire cardiovascular system. High levels of magnesium and fiber protect the arteries from blockage and stimulate smooth blood flow.
source : naturalfoodteam.com